Redwood High Music Dept.
Symphonic Band Testing / Audition Standard Requirements
Symphonic Band / (Advanced Band)
To be eligible to enter this group, you must perform the following skills / fundamentals in a one on one audition with the director. (John Mattern)
415 945 3681 / email@example.com
All Auditions Include:
1) Scales / Always Memorized
2) Sight – Reading** / chosen by director
3) Prepared Piece*** / in the symphonic / orchestral style / See below
Must be able to play all following scales by memory , One Octave, m.m. 148 = ¼ note / Played in 8ths. Straight 8th , 3rds and primary stair step pattern SS1/1234,2345,3456,etc….
articulations: tongued, slurred, t-2, slur 2 / slur 2, t-2 from all 12 concert keys:
D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb,B, E, A
Melodic Minor b3 ascending, b7, b6, b3 descending, and Harmonic Minor in these Concert keys: C, F, Bb, Eb,Ab, Db
The Two Whole Tone Scales 2 8v The 3, 8 note diminished scales 2 8v The 3 4 note diminished chords 2 8v
All instruments must use proper chromatic fingerings
|flute||C-C 3 8 va’s|
|clarinet||low E to high E 3 8va’s|
|sax||low Bb to High F|
|oboe||low Bb to High F|
|trumpet||C-C 2 8va’s|
|horn in f||G-G|
|trombone||E-E 2 8va’s|
|tuba||low Bb to high Bb 2 8va’s|
Snare Drum / Percussion / Mallets
- All above scales on mallets
- Must have a clear understanding of rolls, and ability to perform them up to a 13 stroke roll.
- Show basic level proficiency in tuning and playing timpani
- Snare: demonstrate the 5, 7, 9 and 13 stroke roll in duple meter. (See Alfred’s Drum Method Book 1) ability to play: flamacue, flam tap & flam accents.
- Perform solo #19 from Alfred’s Drum Method Book 1
** Sight reading piece is chosen by the director
***For any audition or played test for the director, you must perform a brief prepared piece of solo literature, in classical / concert style, written or memorized. Can be taken from a duet, solo, chamber, or an excerpt from large ensemble music. (Contact Director for clarification)