Symphonic Band / (Advanced Band)
All Auditions Include:
- Scales / Always Memorized
- Sight – Reading** / chosen by director
- Prepared Piece*** / in the symphonic / orchestral style / See below
Must be able to play all following scales by memory , One Octave ,¼ note / Played in 8ths. Straight eighth and 3rds pattern. Metronome markings here: Download Scale Tempos (pdf)
articulations: tongued, slurred, t-2, slur 2 / slur 2, t-2 from the following concert keys: G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db
Melodic Minor b3 ascending, b7, b6, b3 descending, and Harmonic Minor in these Concert keys:
- C, F, Bb
- The Two Whole Tone Scales 1 octave
- Concert Bb 8 note diminished scale / slurred / legato / half-whole….etc.
- Concert Bb 4 note diminished chord, 1 octave
All instruments must use proper chromatic fingerings and
|Flute||C-C 3 8 va’s|
|Clarinet||low E to high E 3 8va’s|
|Sax||low Bb to High F|
|Oboe||low Bb to High F|
|Trumpet||C-C 2 8va’s|
|Horn in f||G-G|
|Trombone||E-E 2 8va’s|
|Tuba||low Bb to high Bb 2 8va’s|
Snare Drum / Percussion / Mallets
- All above scales on mallets.
- Must have a clear understanding of rolls and ability to perform them up to a 13 stroke roll.
- Show basic level proficiency in tuning and playing timpani.
- Snare: demonstrate the 5, 7, 9 and 13 stroke roll in duple meter. (See Alfred’s Drum Method Book 1) ability to play: flamacue, flam tap & flam accents.
- Perform solo #19 from Alfred’s Drum Method Book 1.
** Sight reading piece is chosen by the director
***For any audition or played test for the director, you must perform a brief prepared piece of solo literature, in classical / concert style, written or memorized. ( Can be taken from a duet, solo, chamber, or an excerpt from large ensemble music. (See Director for clarification)